Loved and were loved, and now we lie
    In Flanders fields.
    Take up our quarrel with the foe:
    To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
    We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
    In Flanders fields.

A little courtesy and respect to those who have perished in the past and present who had fought to give all of us the freedoms we have and enjoy.

Lest we forget.

Comment

I was encouraged to see on tonight's news that some cadets were standing vigil at the memorial in Oshawa, and a group of students was travelling to Italy to the site of a Canadian victory.

As the President-Elect so eloquently put it "tyranny threatened the world, ... a generation [rose] to greatness and a democracy was saved".

Unfortunately, it may seem a little abstract to many that these men and women gave up their lives, their futures, for us. Us, in this case, is the abstraction - it is all of "us".

The following remarks were given over 20 years ago to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the Normandy invasion. They still ring true.

"Forty summers have passed since the battle that you fought here. You were young the day you took these cliffs; some of you were hardly more than boys, with the deepest joys of life before you. Yet, you risked everything here. Why? Why did you do it? What impelled you to put aside the instinct for self-preservation and risk your lives to take these cliffs? What inspired all the men of the armies that met here? We look at you, and somehow we know the answer. It was faith and belief; it was loyalty and love.
      The men of Normandy had faith that what they were doing was right, faith that they fought for all humanity, faith that a just God would grant them mercy on this beachhead or on the next. It was the deep knowledge--and pray God we have not lost it--that there is a profound, moral difference between the use of force for liberation and the use of force for conquest. You were here to liberate, not to conquer, and so you and those others did not doubt your cause. And you were right not to doubt.
      You all knew that some things are worth dying for. One's country is worth dying for, and democracy is worth dying for, because it's the most deeply honorable form of government ever devised by man. All of you loved liberty. All of you were willing to fight tyranny, and you knew the people of your countries were behind you."

Thank you to all veterans, everywhere.
      I'm not anti-semantic - words are some of my best friends!

Comment

Repost

This thread is from last year and I'm posting on it again in respect to Remembrance Day.

Comment

we shall never forget

Comment

Well done Rantsalot, its important that we all remember the sacrifices made by millions so that we can live as free people.

Ace

Comment

Originally posted by ace0730 View Post
              Well done Rantsalot, its important that we all remember the sacrifices made by millions so that we can live as free people.

Ace
              Co-sign, we shall never forget.

Comment

today in my yoga class we were encouraged to embody a sense of peace on this day of rememberance.
                so i pass on this direction of thought
                remember those who have passed, those who are still alive to retell and remember the purpose.
                each day is a war not only to find balance and peace within ourselves but collectively as a whole.

peace be with everyone
                Click Here to see all of me on Shemale Yum

Comment

Remember

Again I am posting on this thread that was originally created 2 years ago in homage and in remembrance to those who risked their lives to give us what we now have today. This is one thread I will forever be proud to post on.

Lest we forget.

Comment

Originally posted by Rantsalot View Post
                    Again I am posting on this thread that was originally created 2 years ago in homage and in remembrance to those who risked their lives to give us what we now have today. This is one thread I will forever be proud to post on.

Lest we forget.
                    CO-SIGN THESE MEN AND WOMAN GAVE IT ALL SO WE CAN LIVE IN PEACE ,,,GOD LOVE EM
                    SEMI-RETIRED 519-209-3058

Comment

Totally agree with everyone. We all take our freedom for granted sometimes but we owe those men and women a debt we can never repay. I just hope we can show half the courage that they've shown in war in our own daily "wars"....pretty sure the world will be a better place.

"Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than
                      Standing in a garage makes you a car."

Comment

sigpic

Comment

For all who fought
                          And for all who fell
                          And for all that continue to fight
                          For our freedoms
                          Bless them all
                          And there families

Comment

Comment

good to see so much respect great post and lots of good coments .lest we forget

Comment

Working...
                              X