Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minimum Cash Requirement to Enter Thailand

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Minimum Cash Requirement to Enter Thailand

    I have recently read about foreigners being turned away from Thailand because they didn't have enough cash on their person. Bank and credit cards they had but not a lot of cash. Anybody heard anything about this? And if you do know anything about this, what would be a good amount of cash to bring for a 10 day stay? I also read not to change your money until you land in Thailand.The airports in Thailand are supposed to have the best exchange rates. Is that correct?

    By the way, "Hello. I'm new to this forum".
    Strength lies in differences, not similarities.

  • #2
    I have not heard that, but that doesn't mean it might be true,

    I have only been twice, and both times I had $5 k USA on me,

    I was asked how much money I was carrying, was no issue,

    Yes changing at the airport is fine, and easy, (no id needed) you might save a couple peso (LOL) by going to a bank,

    I find the airport had a better rate then the hotels I stayed,

    But I would just do cash advance on your c/c at a bank machine, when available, the rate is not that bad at all,

    just my $0.02

    Have fun
    how can't you love a t-girl ?

    Comment


    • #3
      I visit Thailand several times a year( not for ladyboy tourism, I have an GG girlfriend there and visit her several times a year and we go to vacation spots and small towns and so on).; never been asked about money on my person. I carry nothing other than my cards and just get cash at ATMs as I need it. That costs more than converting canadian cash, but if it is just daily spending money ,I prefer the convenience. I have only taken a wad of Canadian cash a couple of times when I was giving her money to buy some big ticket items for the condo in order to get favorable rates.

      I am going again in 3 weeks, I haven't heard of any policy like this.

      If I bring a wad of cash , I use Superrich for my exchange , their main location is about the best rate in Bangkok , and they have branches all over which are still very good. Everyone will have their "go there !" idea, but that is what I do. Unless I am planning on spending a lot of money, I just use credit cards and ATMS for convenience sake.

      Don't ever buy Baht with your canadian cash anywhere but Thailand. They need and love foreign currency and so you get a better rate.

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks for the good advice. Its much appreciated.
        Strength lies in differences, not similarities.

        Comment


        • #5
          let us know!!!!!!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Hondo View Post
            I have recently read about foreigners being turned away from Thailand because they didn't have enough cash on their person. Bank and credit cards they had but not a lot of cash. Anybody heard anything about this? And if you do know anything about this, what would be a good amount of cash to bring for a 10 day stay? I also read not to change your money until you land in Thailand.The airports in Thailand are supposed to have the best exchange rates. Is that correct?

            By the way, "Hello. I'm new to this forum".
            I?ve read the same thing on the Thai Consulate website.

            The reasoning is that they get a lot of young buskers backpacking into the country with little or no money, who then set up in a tourist area to perform for tips, illegally earning money in the country.

            I think that they are probably targeting young college age pups looking to busk and backpack through the country with their earnings. Kids from Australia are their prime concern.

            If you?re older with proof of a job or self-employment income in your home country, common sense will prevail with the border guards.

            Comment


            • #7
              I've never really met a border guard with a lot of sense though. A lot of attitude. But not a lot of sense.
              Strength lies in differences, not similarities.

              Comment


              • #8
                Been to Thailand many times. Often, I carried very little cash on me. Never ever had an issue entering the country.

                Exchange rates, I would say is a bit better in Thailand, however, I personally don't like carrying huge amounts of cash, no matter which country I'm in. As Crag mentioned above, the bank fee for withdrawals is about $13.

                In the end, my advice would be to just go and enjoy your trip. Whether you spend 2 or 200 hundred dollars on exchange rates and fees, won't matter at the end of the day. Just have fun.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Thanks everyone for their words of wisdom. I'm going to take Craig's advice and bring a pocket full of cash.
                  Strength lies in differences, not similarities.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I am going with no cash and cards like i usually do... will let you know what happens

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      ^ I am curious if this will be an issue for me. I have never been asked what is on my person, and I go 3 - 4 times a year. Now, I am older' don't look like a busker, and do have an address there (the girls home address that I visit). So maybe that is why

                      I will see what happens next time Will report on here if anything weird happens.

                      Comment



                      Working...
                      X